Friday, May 11, 2018

Blessed Are the Meek, For They Shall Inherit the Earth.

Every six months, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (which I am a member of) holds a conference. During this conference, we listen to our prophet, the apostles and other general authorities teach us how we can be better followers of Christ. Most look forward to this time to be taught and edified because we believe that these men are the mouthpieces of Christ for the entire world.

This past conference was held in April on the weekend of Easter. It was powerful and although I couldn't sit peacefully listening during the conference, due to my eight month old who is super mobile and gets into everything, I still was touched by the Holy Ghost. You see, at the beginning of this year our prophet Thomas S. Monson passed away. He was succeeded by the senior apostle, Russell M. Nelson. Although I have heard President Nelson speak after becoming our next prophet, this conference really brought the spirit, testifying that he really was a prophet of God.

President Nelson said, "Dear brothers and sisters, we constantly seek direction from the Lord on how we can help our members keep the commandments of God, especially those two great commandments to love God and our neighbors. For months we have been seeking a better way to minister to the spiritual and temporal needs of our people in the Savior’s way." In this particular instance, he was talking about the changes that were made to a couple of our programs of visiting members in the church. For me though, I feel as though the whole conference was based on this quote. 

Last year President Monson gave the challenge to read the Book of Mormon. I brushed it off because I have read/studied the Book of Mormon so many times. The justification came into my mind that I needed to study the other canon scriptures as well as modern scripture. I told myself that reading talks from previous conferences were fulfilling this because they taught principles that were in the Book of Mormon. Besides, that was for people who weren't doing any type of gospel study anyways. It didn't apply to me. WRONG. 

Elder Bednar gave this powerful example of meekness. "President Nelson and President Eyring righteously and rapidly responded to President Monson’s encouragement to read and study the Book of Mormon. Though both men were serving in important and visible Church positions and had studied the scriptures extensively for decades, they demonstrated in their responses no hesitation or sense of self-importance." 

That was a huge slap in the face for me. If these great men, who have had several more years in the church and gospel study, followed the prophet's counsel, then who the heck am I. I definitely didn't respond meekly, that's for sure. It was if he was talking directly to me. Leisa, if you want to become more like your Savior, you need to be meeker. 

When the conference talks came out of the website, I decided to listen to one a day for my scripture study so that I could actually listen to what they had to say (some for the first time). We were in the middle of a move across the country, so my stuff was packed who knows where. One day, as I was studying the Spirit, whispered to me that I should study the Book of Mormon along with the conference talks. I said that as soon as I found my scriptures I would do so. 

For all of you who are struggling to find relevance to studying the Book of Mormon, here is what I have been doing. I hope it can help you too. After each talk that I read and listen to, I go to the topical guide of the scriptures and either look up the topic that the speaker was conveying or what the spirit taught me during my study. I then go to the scriptures listed under those topics in the Book of Mormon. It's a refreshing new way to study the Book of Mormon for me. I hope that this can help someone else who is in the same position that I was. 

I know that God speaks to us in these days through His prophet and apostles. These counsels are for everyone. I also know that He speaks to us personally through the Holy Ghost about how we can personally improve and come closer to Christ. As we follow the commandments and strive to be the best that we can be, He will guide us and bless us with more than we can even imagine. I am grateful for the patient Heavenly Father, who lifts me up and also isn't afraid to cut me down when I need it. I know that Jesus Christ lives and loves us. I'm grateful every day for the sacrifice that He made for me so that I can become better and return to live with God again. I'm grateful for my family and that we have the potential, through our faithfulness to be together forever. I leave this with you in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment