Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Balance in all things.

So this week in my personality class we had the opportunity to read Carl Rogers theory on personality and how he thought therapy should be. As I was reading I realized that I agreed with him based on my situation currently. One thing that really stuck out to me was this


I got all excited after I read that and was like yes yes yes! Of course! That's what I need! But really? Isn't that what the world tells us to do? Do what you feel because it feels good? It doesn't matter what anyone thinks. I thought a little about this and my thoughts changed a little bit. There really are so many values introjected into us by those around us and sometimes we may not even realize it's not even our idea or value coming through. The practical side started to come out in me and I realized that there is a lot more that you need to think about than yourself. Now personally, I have never been good at making plans. I am quite a dreamer when it comes to my future, more specifically speaking when it comes to my future family. Let me re-phrase that. Actually that's the only thing I am a dreamer about. Sometimes I just have all these wonderful plans in my mind and then Heavenly Father shows me that that's not how it's going to go. It's not that He doesn't want me to have those things, in fact He wants that for me.. but not in the way that I think I'm going to get them. 

So back to this idea of doing things for yourself. If you are anything like the practical side of me, before making decisions you think about other people and how it will affect them, and also what is the most logical thing to do. I have to think about my parents, my brothers, my friends, school and things that are happening currently in my life. If you think about it, that is so much about what we base our decisions on. If we were to be as Carl Rogers told us to be, then we would hurt a lot of people around us and not to mention it's hard to live when you are filled with guilt. Well you shouldn't have guilt if you are doing what you want to and feel you want to. Can't our feelings be irrational though? If you just choose what you want without regarding anyone else feelings there will always be conflict. You will always feel a strain and you will always feel the values of other people being introjected onto you. Its uncomfortable! Every person you have ever talked to or will ever talk to has a set of values and within a few minutes they are projected onto you and you sometimes feel that seep into your own values. 

Is it possible then to want something, to love someone, want to be something then that is impractical? If we are thinking like this then yes there is. Love can be impractical. It's not just something that magically happens one day and everything will fit into place. Sometimes you could be perfect for someone and them you, but it's impractical due to other circumstances. That is hard. Really hard. But if it is what the Lord wants for you, is it possible? Of course it is. The trick is finding a balance in all things. Sometimes we will have to sacrifice what we want for those we love or because Heavenly Father has something better in store. Sometimes we will have to sacrifice a little of others values around us in order to fulfill the will of the Lord. It's all about finding that balance. 

In D&C 38:39 it says "And if ye seek the riches which it is the will of the Father to give unto you, ye shall be the richest of all people, for ye shall have the riches of eternity; and it must needs be that the riches of the earth are mine to give; but beware of pride, lest ye become as the Nephites of old."

We need to learn from the mistakes of others and even our own mistakes so that we may put the will of the Lord above all. His will will truly bring us true happiness and nothing is impossible with Him. This is something that I need to look into more and will be studying more for myself, but these are the thoughts that I have come up with. Let me know what you think :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello Leisa Marino. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog post and have opportunity to share with you about the progam our church in Mumbai, INDIA has for the young people and adults from the West. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / Long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Leisa Marino. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger. I am also glad to stop by your blog post and have opportunity to share with you about the progam our church in Mumbai, INDIA has for the young people and adults from the West. I am in the Pastoral ministry for last 35yrs in the great city of Mumbai a city with great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young people adults from the West to come to Mumbai on a short / Long term missions trip to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you.

    ReplyDelete